Jamie Mitchell (PhD, University of Calgary)
FSO - Assistant Professor (Teaching)
7-58C, Medical Sciences Building
University of Alberta
Edmonton, AB Canada
2000 BSc - Université de Montréal
2002 MSc - University of Calgary
2008 PhD - University of Calgary
During my MSc, I completed studies of heart-lung interaction with a focus on the hemodynamic effects of mechanical ventilation. During my PhD program, I extended these studies to a model of Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome with a special focus on the effects of volume loading on pulmonary vascular resistance. I have since led a study looking at the hemodynamic effects of a vascular neck restraint in partnership with the Calgary Police Service. My research goals would be to establish new collaborations and continue working in the broader areas of heart-lung interaction, hemodynamics and cardiac function.
U of A, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, Honours Human Physiology
- U of A, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, Human Physiology
- U of A, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, Experimental Techniques in Physiology
U of A, Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, Cardiovascular Physiology
U of C, Faculty of Medicine, Graduate Course in Cardiac Physiology
U of C, Faculty of Medicine, Integrative Physiology
U of C, Faculty of Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology
U of C, Faculty of Kinesiology, Human Growth and Development
U of C, Faculty of Kinesiology, Physiological Basis for Adaptations to Environmental Stress
Mount Royal College, Faculty of Science, Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Verhoeff K and Mitchell JR. Cardiopulmonary physiology: why the heart and lungs are inextricably linked. Am J Physiol Adv Physiol Educ. 41: 348-353, 2017.
- Lee JJ and Mitchell JR. Review: The Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone Axis within Heart-Kidney Interaction. UAHSJ. 12(1): 21-29, 2016.
- Mishra, RC*, Mitchell JR*, Gibbons-Kroeker C, Wulff H, Belenkie I, Tyberg JV, Braun AP. A Pharmacologic Activator of Endothelial KCa Channels Increases Systemic Conductance and Reduces Arterial Pressure in an Anesthetized Pig Model. Vascular Pharmacology. 79: 24-31, 2016. * Co-first authors.
- Mitchell JR. Is the Heart a Pressure or Flow Generator? Possible Implications and Suggestions for Cardiovascular Pedagogy. Am J Physiol Adv Physiol Educ. 39: 242-247, 2015.
- Mitchell JR and Wang JJ. Expanding Application of the Wiggers Diagram to Teach Cardiovascular Physiology. Am J Physiol Adv Physiol Educ. 38(2): 170-175, 2014.
- Smailys A, Mitchell JR, Doig CJ, Tyberg JV, Belenkie I. High-frequency Oscillatory Ventilation versus Conventional Ventilation: Hemodynamic Effects on Lung and Heart. Physiol Rep. 2(3), 2014.
- Mitchell JR, Roach D, Tyberg JV, Belenkie I, Sheldon RS. Mechanism of Loss of Consciousness during Vascular Neck Restraint. J Appl Physiol. 2012 112 (e-published Nov.17, 2011).
- Mitchell JR. Pulmonary Vascular Resistance and Direct Ventricular Interaction during Mechanical Ventilation in an Oleic Acid Induced Acute Lung Injury Model: A Review. J Allergy & Therapy. 2011 Oct; S4:001.
- Mitchell JR, Doig CJ, Whitelaw WA, Tyberg JV, Belenkie I. Left Ventricular Preload Determines Systolic Pressure Variation during Mechanical Ventilation in Acute Lung Injury. J Clinic Experiment Cardiol. 2011 Aug;2(7).
- Mitchell JR, Doig CJ, Whitelaw WA, Tyberg JV, Belenkie I. Volume Loading Reduces Pulmonary Vascular Resistance in Ventilated Animals with Acute Lung Injury: Evaluation of RV Afterload. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2011 Jan;300 : R763- R770.
- Mitchell JR, Whitelaw WA, Sas R, Smith ER, Tyberg JV, Belenkie I. RV Filling Modulates LV Function by Direct Ventricular Interaction during Mechanical Ventilation. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2005 Aug;289(2) : H549 – 557.
- Mitchell JR, Sas R, Zuege DJ, Doig CJ, Smith ER, Whitelaw WA, Tyberg JV, Belenkie I. Ventricular Interaction during Mechanical Ventilation in Closed-Chest Anesthetized Dogs. Can J Cardiol. 2005 Jan;21(1) : 73 – 81.